Eva Mendes

Eva Mendes: ‘I’m tired of being always thought of as sexy’



Eva Mendes: ‘I’m tired of being always thought of as sexy’





Normally an actress saying she was tired of being thought of as only sexy would make us roll our eyes a lot and make us murmur, “Yeah, us too…” but we just kind of like Eva Mendes.
Speaking to The Sun the gorgeous star (who’s dating equally lovely Ryan Gosling) said: “I don’t know if I’ve really suffered but it’s probably caused some directors and studios to shy away from me for certain roles.

  
    “I’m the only one who’s responsible for whatever image of myself I’ve put out there. This business often wants to sexualise women and I understand that, but at some point I got tired of being always thought of as ‘sexy’ and allowed that description to define the kind of work I was doing. That can be very limiting.” 


So for the part in her latest movie, The Place Beyond The Pines with Ryan, as a downtrodden mother, she tried to make herself as plain as possible when she auditioned for director Derek Cianfrance.
“I went kind of Jersey Girl on him,” she said. “I looked like s***. Most of the time when you go to an audition, even if it says the role calls for a non-glamorous look, you put on a little concealer or something. But this time I wore almost zero make-up.
“I bought this old-school hair gel, Dep — it costs like a dollar — and I wore this dark, dark eyeliner. That was the only make-up I used.
She then also lost 15lb for the role, but was – refreshingly *cough Anne Hathaway cough* - desperate to put it back on.
“I’ve gained most of the weight back because that was a lot for me to lose,” she said. “I don’t like the hard and toned look.”



Even though she goes out with one of the hottest men on the planet, Eva says she can’t be doing with men who are obsessed with their looks.
“Beauty can be boring in some ways, especially if you’re with a guy who is focused on his looks all the time,” she said. I know a lot of actors who are totally obsessed with creating a certain look, whether it’s very polished or very street. I definitely don’t need that in a man. A real man doesn’t fuss about his appearance.”
But our favourite bit is when she talks about playing a mother with Ryan in the film and how great he is with kids.
“He’s really good,” she says. “He loves babies and he loved playing with the little boy we used in the film to play our son. It was adorable to see him in that light.
“There’s one intense scene in particular where everyone has been screaming, including the baby. The beauty of that scene comes when Ryan picks up the baby and he immediately quietens down and starts to fall asleep on him. That’s just magical.”






 
Post a Comment

Post a Comment